Monday, April 28, 2008

Xerces

Bicycled through the Iron City streets to take in a free show last night. It was at my usual Sunday night haunt, so it wasn't like it was a major event or anything.

Y'all motherfuckers need to check out a band called Dyksick. They opened the show, playing electronic, off of a synth keyboard and laptop, and pretty much blew away the other two acts.

There were not a lot of people at this show. I'd say five. Five people not directly related to the bands in some form or another, including the author. That didn't seem to matter to Dyksick, as they dropped mad beats and made some good music. How good? My cheap ass bought a CD, that's how good!

The other two bands, My Parasites and Scabdriver were less than stellar. My Parasite's drumming and keyboarding were actually quite proficient, easy to listen to, etc, but if there was such a thing as the Fred Durst of Industrial/Hardcore music, it had to be the frontman in this band. He needed to shut up between songs. People at the bar drink because that's what we're there to do. We don't want to be dragged towards the stage. If you were good enough, we'd come on our own!

The headliner, Scabdriver, was tight enough to be good, but then threw in the towel about fifteen minutes into their set. Fuck em'.

The ride home was leisurely and fun. I have to cross two major rivers on my way to and from The Smiling Moose(top 5 venue in PGH for me) and I like to pause for a sip of water and a break while I'm in the middle of them, as both offer awesome views of the 'burgh skyline, and are about a hundred feet over their respective rivers. As an added bonus, I got to piss onto a gigantic coal barge, because the lights were out on the bridge, which afforded me a nice amount of shadow. Ben Kenny makes coal energy even dirtier. Go me.

Good sleeping weather lately.

My Kingdom for a MSI ticket.

Back to the work grind tomorrow. Ugh.

Iron Man this weekend. Tony Stark could take Bruce Wayne in net worth and badass toys. But I think Bruce Wayne has more heart.(Totally nerdy comic book pun right there, bitches.)

And where do we go from here? Which is the way that's clear? Still looking...-BK

No comments: