Thursday, July 12, 2007

Smithfield Street

Recently, I saw Michael Moore's new film, Sicko. I thought it was well put together, and presented a fairly accurate look into the American medical system. Well, at least as accurate as a working-class baggage handler/comic sees it. However, I did have a few problems, and I'll share those with you now..

A. Moore makes no mention of if and how malpractice insurance/lawsuits are handled in Europe. As I understand it, malpractice insurance is a big part of the bills you and I pay when we go to the doctor for our sore shoulder.

B. Health insurance companies are often publicly held. If Americans want better health care, perhaps they shouldn't be buying and trading the stock of their providers on the market. Perhaps is should be illegal for private insurance to be traded??

Other than that, it was good. Although the irony of a multi-millionaire attacking the lack of health insurance for the poor was not lost on me.

Bye now.

No comments: