Saturday, August 9, 2008

Thrash Unreal



Comedy has lost another giant.

Bernie Mac passed away due to complications from pneumonia at 50, an age where some argue life is at it's sweetest.

I don't know about that, but I do know that Bernie Mac had the ability to genuinely make me laugh from my gut, which, if you know any of us jaded comics, is an extraordinary talent.

His comedy wasn't necessarily solely about the Black experience in America, or even geared towards black audiences. It was about everyday life. About being poor and striving. About having and giving respect. About how a man should live his life.

When I was 19, I worked the overnight shift at a K-Mart in the south suburbs of Chicago. Mr. Mac would come in every few weeks, late into the evening/early morning, and shop. I never really spoke to him, as I hadn't started doing comedy seriously yet, but I'd watch him on our store's security cams. He seemed very carefree, maybe because he could just be Bernie, an average guy, unrecognized and left to his own devices. It kind of drove home the fact that celebrities are normal people too.

He co-starred in one of the biggest grossing and most successful stadium comedy tours of all time, worked steadily in film for over 15 years, and had an acclaimed show of his own on Fox, which was really, really good. So good that it reminded me of a modern version of The Cosby Show. It was that well put together.

You know how I know I really liked Bernie Mac?? I paid money to see him star beside the deplorable Ashton Kucher in the remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?.

Also, he very rarely used the dreaded "N-word" onstage, which, in my opinion, is a crutch that weaker, less refined, and less creative comedians lean on all too much these days. It's not cool because Eddie Murphy did it, and comedy isn't gangsta rap.

I will miss his presence.

------

Not only did I survive an impromptu night of strip-clubbing and random adventure, I made it into work on time and awake! Take that, stomach flu! It's gonna take more than that to bring this beast down!

Show tonight. Excited.

Finally a day off tomorrow. 12 days straight. It may not be much to you, but do you throw thirty pound bags in broiling sunlight all day?

That's what I thought, bitch.

I've smoked three cigarettes and a cigar in the past month. This is a severely disturbing trend that must end. I should probably drink more whiskey and less beer.

White trash neighbors are talking about Toby Keith while listening to Judas Priest.

Judas Priest is not white trash in nature mind you, I just find the situation and circumstances highly weird.

Toby Keith is the lowest common denominator of what could be considered remotely entertaining. He makes Jimmy Buffet look like Beethoven. Toby Keith sucks. Sucks hard. Toby Keith is Tory Spelling's afterbirth.

This is alternately scary and hilarious. Certainly the second best thirty-six seconds you'll ever experience. The first? Sex with ol' BK of course! You probably won't require therapy after this though. "Probably" being the operative word.


A King at work.


I wish the wind would blow through here.-BK

No comments: